FEDERAL funding stripped from main highway tasks in Canberra ought to be given again, the ACT opposition says.
Canberra Chief Elizabeth Lee will transfer a movement within the Meeting at present (November 22) calling on Chief Minister Andrew Barr and Greens chief Shane Rattenbury to jot down to the Commonwealth requesting the $85.9 million be reinstated.
Lee says the ACT authorities had “bought out” Canberrans by making a cope with the federal Labor authorities to maneuver $85.9 million away from three a lot wanted highway tasks to assist pay for Stage 2A of the tram.
“The $85.9m was allotted to the South-West Hall, Pialligo Highway and Boboyan Highway, that are a lot wanted tasks and had been on the time welcomed and supported by the ACT Minister,” she says.
“The Grasp Builders Affiliation has additionally urged that there shall be a major lack of round 773 native jobs and $250 million for the native financial system from the cancellation of those tasks.”
She claims that providers have declined within the ACT as a result of funding is being funnelled in the direction of mild rail.
“Since 2015, this ACT Labor-Greens authorities has ripped cash out of well being, schooling, police, and housing to pay for the tram and now they’ve achieved a cope with their federal colleagues to divert cash from necessary highway upgrades,” she says.
“This comes at a time when the dying toll on ACT roads is already at a 12 yr excessive and has been climbing yr on yr during the last 4 years.”
Who will be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s by no means been a extra necessary time to help impartial journalism in Canberra.
In case you belief our work on-line and need to implement the ability of impartial voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Each greenback of help is invested again into our journalism to assist preserve citynews.com.au robust and free.
Change into a supporter
Ian Meikle, editor