The weekend arts scene rolled up into one straightforward column. It’s “Artsday” with HELEN MUSA.
THE Royal Navy Faculty Band will carry out masterworks for wind ensemble penned by composers Alyssa Morris, Jodie Blackshaw, Percy Grainger and Johan de Meij, underneath the baton of Maj. Matthew O’Keeffe. Llewellyn Corridor, 7pm, Saturday (October 1), Entry by gold coin donation to assist Legacy, however bookings important right here
Different weekend live shows embrace:
- CANBERRA-raised pianist Anthony Chen will current a solo recital of classical music together with Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Michael Kieran Harvey in preparation for the Australian Nationwide Piano Award. Wesley Music Centre, 4pm, Saturday, October 1.
- THE Pure Tradition is a excessive vitality funk soul, reggae and world music band from Melbourne, coming to Smith’s Different, Civic, Sunday, 9.30pm (October 2).
- SUPER Rats, Canberra’s Romanian folks band, are taking part in at Commonwealth Park for Floriade, on the Tulip Stage, 11am-1pm, Monday, (October 3) then on Stage 88, 1-3pm, October 6 and seven.
Weekend exhibitions embrace:
- “CONFLATED” is a brand new exhibition at ANU Faculty of Artwork & Design Gallery, till November 4.
- CANBERRA Artwork Biennial, previously Contour 556, returns for its fourth version, greater than 70 artists throughout 21 venues and 60 particular person artworks or performances.
- MANNING Clark Home, Forrest, is taking part within the Artwork Biennial by internet hosting Brett Stone, potter from Utopia Artwork Sydney; Abdul Abdullah, painter from Yavuz Gallery; and Rosalind Lemoh, sculptor. October 1-29, artist discuss by Stone, 2pm, Saturday, October 1.
- JOHN R Walker’s exhibition “Hidden River” is a part of the Biennial, along with his works responding to facets of the Canberra area panorama. He’ll give an artist discuss at Artbox, Barton, 3.15pm-4pm, Saturday (October 1).
- CANBERRA Modern Artwork House on the lake is internet hosting a free public program at 1pm on Saturday (October 1), with a Q&A with “Cageworks” artists Ham Darroch and Nicci Haynes and curator Alexander Boynes, and a studying of John Cage’s “Lecture On Nothing” by poet Paul Magee. All welcome. “Cageworks” continues till October 23.
- ARTIST Lindy Lee attracts on her Australian and Chinese language heritage to develop works that interact with the historical past of artwork, private identification and the cosmos. “Moon in a Dew Drop”, CMAG till December 3.
- “MATTHEW Thorne: Jingo was born within the Slum” options pictures and costumes from Justin Kurzel’s movie ”True Historical past of the Kelly Gang”, alongside Sidney Nolan’s Ned Kelly work that influenced the movie. Canberra Museum and Gallery, October 1-March 4.
- CANBERRA artist Sylvie Carter presents greater than 70 works in a solo exhibition, “Valleys, Views and Vines” alongside Karen Warburton’s 3D objects fabricated from recycled wooden. Rusten Home Artwork Centre, Queanbeyan, October 1 – 22. Launch, 2pm-4pm, Saturday, October 1.
Who could be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s by no means been a extra vital time to assist impartial journalism in Canberra.
For those who belief our work on-line and need to implement the ability of impartial voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Each greenback of assist is invested again into our journalism to assist preserve citynews.com.au sturdy and free.
Grow to be a supporter
Ian Meikle, editor