Artsday / Nationwide Museum activates a ‘queer’ night time
Music, motion pictures, theatre or exhibitions, they’re all taking place in Canberra and HELEN MUSA has them coated in her newest “Artsday” column.
AHEAD of Sydney WorldPride, the Nationwide Museum is popping on “Evening on the Museum: Queer”, that includes drag reveals, curious assortment tales, a pop-up queer exhibition and a dance celebration and a collaborative paintings making a “Defining Moments in Australian Queer Historical past” wall, 6pm to 10.30pm, February 10.
THE Nationwide Movie and Sound Archive is celebrating “Galantines day” with a champagne screening of “The First Wives Membership”, 6pm, February 13.
ANDREW Rumsey on piano and Thomas Azoury on clarinet be part of forces once more in a one-hour program of favourites. Wesley Music Centre, Forrest, 3pm, February 11.
- “AT Dinner” is a brand new play by Rebecca Duke billed as an examination of contemporary love. ACT Hub, Kingston, February 9/11.
- “TO Barbra, With Love” is an eightieth birthday celebration of Barbra Streisand options prime performers singing her most memorable songs, accompanied by Canberra Symphony Orchestra. Canberra Theatre, February 1 and February 11.
- “CATCH Jazida” sees burlesque star Jazida play a thief who drops her garments. Courtyard Studio, Canberra Theatre, February 10-12.
- BELCONNEN Arts Centre has 4 new exhibitions opening at 6pm, February 10, all operating to March 26: “Mycelium Sky” by Paul Summerfield; “Wrack and Salvage” by Jacqui Malins; “earth unframed”; and “floor whisper softly” by Valerie Schönjahn.
- NATURE Artwork Lab has “Reflections on Nature” at Outdated Barn Gallery, Pialligo, February 9-12.
- AMERICAN-born Queanbeyan artist Alex Asch explores constructed landscapes in an exhibition impressed by a latest highway journey to Damaged Hill, Cobar and Silverton, alongside ceramics by Tasmanian artist Kelly Austin. Beaver Galleries, Deakin, February 9-25.
- “ENCOMPASS” is a gaggle exhibition by artists from around the globe, together with Palestine, Morocco, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Canberra Islamic Centre, Monash, February 11-12. Official opening 6pm Friday, February 10.
- GALLERY Bodalla is exhibiting “thanks for all of the fish”, that includes collaged prints and blended media by Frances Luke. Outdated Put up Workplace, Bodalla, February 9-March 12.
Who may be trusted?
In a world of spin and confusion, there’s by no means been a extra essential time to assist impartial journalism in Canberra.
In case you belief our work on-line and need to implement the ability of impartial voices, I invite you to make a small contribution.
Each greenback of assist is invested again into our journalism to assist maintain citynews.com.au robust and free.
Develop into a supporter
Ian Meikle, editor